Monday, June 20, 2011

Massaging?

I have had a few set backs with the running recently, but I am still moving in the right direction overall.  The long hours of being on my feet and printing during the summer semester did a number on my hips.  I have started getting my IT band massaged about daily (by an athletic trainer at my school), which seems to be helping.  I have never had anything massaged regularly, so it will be interesting to see if it helps in the long run.  YouTube is full of videos about IT band massaging, but most seem to focus around the knee instead of higher up around the TFL.  These two were helpful to me:

Video 1
Video 2

I am also foam rolling more again.  I admit, I slacked off when my hip started to feel better. 

I was able to get out to J. B. Starkey Wilderness Preserve recently, which did me a lot of good mentally.  After being away at school, I had forgotten the smell of these woods in the early hours of the day.  It was an absolutely beautiful morning, as a fellow runner pointed out when we crossed paths.  "It is beautiful," I replied.  Then I added, "But it is always beautiful here."  That's the truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment